The Scottish Government has proposed extending the current minimum safety standards in private rented housing to other tenures. The Housing (Scotland) Act 1987 will soon be amended to reflect the new requirements.
With updates required to large-scale residential developments, SecuriGroup Systems division will be working closely with our property management clients to ensure they are prepared to meet the required compliance standards.
The amended standard will require:
- at least one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used for general daytime living purposes,
- at least one smoke alarm in every circulation space on each storey, such as hallways and landings,
- at least one heat alarm installed in every kitchen,
- all alarms should be ceiling mounted, and
- all alarms should be interlinked.
The following changes to this standard, all supported by the responses to the consultation, are also proposed:
- to allow specified types of sealed long-life battery alarms as well as mains-wired alarms - reflecting the availability of appropriate technology and will encourage compliance;
- to specify a maximum age of ten years for alarms; and
- to require carbon monoxide detectors in all homes.
Housing Minister Kevin Stewart said:
"Fires and fatalities from fires are decreasing but even one death is one too many.
"Scotland already has rigorous standards for smoke and fire alarms developed over time, with the highest standard currently applied to new-build and private rented housing.
"The tragic events at Grenfell Tower last year emphasised how important building and fire safety is, which is why we brought forward our consultation on this issue.
"Now everyone will benefit from the same level of protection, whether you own your home, or rent from a social or private landlord."
There will be a two year period for compliance, once the regulations are in force, and it is intended that these will be laid in Parliament later in 2018.
For all media enquiries, please contact the SecuriGroup Communications team at firstname.lastname@example.org
SecuriGroup is rated within the top 1% of approved UK security companies by our Home Office regulator, the Security Industry Authority.
Strengthening the society in which we live, and an Investors in People Gold organisation, SecuriGroup provides innovative and expert solutions to our clients’ security needs. A two-time winner of ACS Champion of the Year, our security management approach shapes the future of the industry by combining physical, electronic, and cyber security to augment our service delivery.