Many organisations were not, and are still not, ready for the change to remote working practices brought about by COVID-19, with millions across the UK putting the security and privacy of themselves, their families and their employers at risk.
So what are the risks of home working? The Scottish Business Resilience Centre (SBRC), in partnership with Police Scotland, have identified the primary risks that you may be facing:
- Cyber Fraud – Fraud is the most commonly experienced crime in the UK, with remote working employees presenting increased weak links in IT security systems
- Insider Threat - Errors could range from poor security practices to using public accessed Wi-Fi or employee fear of reporting faults due to user error
- Scams – Two of the most common offences to be aware of are phishing and vishing
- Distractions/Overheard Conversations - Many may share houses with family or housemates, and some users will have to work in public open spaces, where they are vulnerable to being observed when working
- Environment - Working from home also carries risks to employers in terms of health and safety, accident reporting, electrical safety, trip hazards etc
There are therefore a number of things organisations can do to mitigate against these threats and protect employees working remotely. Alongside key considerations, a trusted mitigation of these threats is investment in cyber security initiatives such as the Government backed Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials Plus accreditations.
If you wish to find out more about these accreditations, SecuriGroup's cyber experts can talk you through the best options to suit your business needs. To find out more information, check out our cyber security page here: https://www.securigroup.co.uk/cyber-essentials.
For more information about home working and cyber security from SBRC and Police Scotland, check out their information booklet
For all media enquiries, please contact the SecuriGroup Communications team at firstname.lastname@example.org
SecuriGroup is rated within the top 1% of approved UK security companies by our Home Office regulator, the Security Industry Authority.
Strengthening the society in which we live, and an Investors in People Gold organisation, SecuriGroup provides innovative and expert solutions to our clients’ security needs. A two-time winner of ACS Champion of the Year, our security management approach shapes the future of the industry by combining physical, electronic, and cyber security to augment our service delivery.