With the current situation of Covid-19 and rising cases many are continuing to shop online rather than in store over the festive period.
With this continued method of shopping comes the increased risk of cyber security breaches to all online users including; scamming websites, phishing emails and other opportunities of malicious intent. As such, additional awareness is required to prevent such violations taking place.
The National Cyber Security Centre have released helpful tips to aid all online users in having a safe and assured shopping experience online:
1) Choose carefully where you shop – Ensure the website is legitimate by seeing a padlock in the address bar or checking reviews from trusted businesses and friends.
2) Use a credit card when paying – Credit cards payments will protect your bank account details and can refund you in certain circumstances. Alternatively, use platforms such as PayPal or Apple pay to hide your payment details completely.
3) Don't provide unnecessary information – Only provide information that is necessary to complete the online purchase. Be wary of any additional information they may ask for.
4) Keep devices up to date – Make sure that software updates and app updates are maintained to the latest versions as they normally contain vital security updates.
5) Use solid passwords – Ensure accounts are protected using effective password, especially accounts such as your email and banking.
6) Turn on two-factor authentication (2FA) – Allows the website or service to clarify you are who you claim to be when logging in.
7) Manage your passwords – Use a password manager to help remember passwords, especially if you have many online accounts using the same password.
8) Keep an eye out for suspicious texts and emails – Some emails or texts received may contain links to fake and potentially harmful websites.
9) When things go wrong – If you believe you have fallen victim to a fraudulent website or scam then close your browser and report the details to Fraud Action.
For additional information on ensuring online safety when shopping, please visit https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/shopping-online-securely
SecuriGroup is the only physical security provider in the UK approved to certify businesses with Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials Plus. To find out how SecuriGroup can help keep you and your business stay safe, check out our cyber security offerings.